Feature request and game discussion
Hey there Real Welders crew and everyone else reading this..

Just wanted to give my un asked for feedback regarding my impressions with the game and Real Welder's pre-release review.

The Good:

1. The game is looking very good so far, and is focusing on some aspects that have been overlooked - most notably a very nice graphic style in true 3d. Very nice animations and building designs.

A. Great in game graphics.
B. Great Animations.
C. Appears player graphics will be allowed for custom airlines.
D. A clear understanding/ love for aviation and the small details.

2. Looks like a very sophisticated game- regarding a large number of vehicles being needed to service aircraft. I really like this aspect, and I think airport and aviation enthusiasts will really appreciate the details. I hope Real Welder's doesn't make the mistake that Collosal Order made with things such as cemeteries, landfills, etc... Where buildings need to be "emptied" and other such annoying busy work.

If Real Welders just makes a fun game, where if you don't change settings, and they're working the airport will just operate correctly and the player isn't bothered by some random nonsense that is supposed to keep them captivated.

Just building a fun, functional airport sim /tycoon game is fun enough, and the fun should be in carefully building and expanding, with perhaps small/medium economic factors that create a bit of risk to expansion etc.

Anyway, looks like Real Welders understands pretty detailed gameplay, and that is a good thing.

3. Devs have listened to some player input - The extent to which player input has changed anything the devs. are doing remains to be seen., however, simply having a forum (even if it is spammed with shoe ads constantly) is a good thing to do, and shows the devs do listen to some extent.

The Bad:

1. Poor communication with fans. This could be a language barrier thing potentially, but also appears that the small team at Real Welders is over extending themselves over many different social media sites, and doesn't appear to have a dedicated PR person (no offense Evgenie) but there are weeks that go by where the forum doesn't get cleaned up, replies aren't made, and when the reply is made, it is extremely short, or kind of doesn't make very much sense.

Again, I don't speak Lithuanian or Russian, so I am being critical of another person speaking a foreign language, but if you guys want to succeed with this game, or at least get big sales off the bat, you need to upgrade your online presence and answer people's questions better.

2. Worried about what I've seen from terminals so far - For some reason, the terminals don't have concourses, or there might be some issue with the game dynamics for long concourses to work. No types of concourse puzzle pieces or expansion pieces roofs with skylights /angled roofs/ domes etc.) have been shown. I suppose with the existing terminal options (supposedly there will be multiple level terminal structures) one could build a concourse, but I am thinking that it isn't possible, or Real Welders would have showed it to us already.

On a positive regarding the terminals is what I have seen regarding the restaurants/pub options, which could be a fun element to this game.

3. "Scope Creep" - Not sure if I should bring this up, as it always happens, as projects get more complicated, and release dates are pushed further and further back. It is a good sign that Real Welders has decided not to release an unfinished game to the public yet, but also has shown Real Welders grossly underestimated their design scope, and perhaps was overly ambitions in some areas of the game that became time sinks.

This game has been seriously delayed, and that's probably a good thing, but it's also a bad thing.

4. Game UI not looking very good so far. I know this is still Beta, but the bright blue large blocky menus just aren't doing it for me. Hope a bit of time is used to make sure a pleasant/ advanced look for the UI is implemented.

5. Short runways/approaches - RW should strive for realism.

6. Over complicated? - Let's hope that some of the "minutia" can be turned off using a scrolling bar that reduces demands such as the sewage truck and other support personnel.

Again, this could be a pro, or a con, depending on how it is implemented, and whether it can be controlled.

Perhaps different difficulty settings could require different aircraft services, or a sliding bar for different difficulty settings, such as: "Vehicle Support Sophistication Level" - At the lowest setting, no vehicles besides baggage handling and gate support would be needed, at the highest level, all vehicles would be necessary, including sewage, catering, de-icing etc.

Environmental stuff such as "Weather intensity level" could be selected, aspects such as temperature range, snow, wind, fog, etc. and a sliding scale that would allow more extreme weather, or more tame weather.)

This could help control some of the complication of the game.

-------------------------

Anyway, overall, really looking forward to this game, and think it will be a big success, just want it to be as good as it can be to make sure it does well. I think RW are doing a good job, but there is always room for improvement.
Hi calpolyfan, thanks a lot for such a big comment.

Thanks again for all "good" points.
So here some of our thoughts about the "bad" ones:
1. Poor communication with fans. This could be a language barrier thing potentially, but also appears that the small team at Real Welders is over extending themselves over many different social media sites, and doesn't appear to have a dedicated PR person (no offense Evgenie) but there are weeks that go by where the forum doesn't get cleaned up, replies aren't made, and when the reply is made, it is extremely short, or kind of doesn't make very much sense.

Again, I don't speak Lithuanian or Russian, so I am being critical of another person speaking a foreign language, but if you guys want to succeed with this game, or at least get big sales off the bat, you need to upgrade your online presence and answer people's questions better.
This is all fair enough. The main reason is of course not a barrier but lack of time. Sometimes my main objectives take all my time (in cost of communication). Also presence on different channels depends a lot on a number of visitors. Unfortunately, forum is on the last place. But anyway here I am. :)

2. Worried about what I've seen from terminals so far - For some reason, the terminals don't have concourses, or there might be some issue with the game dynamics for long concourses to work. No types of concourse puzzle pieces or expansion pieces roofs with skylights /angled roofs/ domes etc.) have been shown. I suppose with the existing terminal options (supposedly there will be multiple level terminal structures) one could build a concourse, but I am thinking that it isn't possible, or Real Welders would have showed it to us already.

On a positive regarding the terminals is what I have seen regarding the restaurants/pub options, which could be a fun element to this game.
Because of the Point #3 we have to focus on important features.
3. "Scope Creep" - Not sure if I should bring this up, as it always happens, as projects get more complicated, and release dates are pushed further and further back. It is a good sign that Real Welders has decided not to release an unfinished game to the public yet, but also has shown Real Welders grossly underestimated their design scope, and perhaps was overly ambitions in some areas of the game that became time sinks.

This game has been seriously delayed, and that's probably a good thing, but it's also a bad thing.
We understand this very clear and made very determined refocus. The main objective is to get playable beta.
4. Game UI not looking very good so far. I know this is still Beta, but the bright blue large blocky menus just aren't doing it for me. Hope a bit of time is used to make sure a pleasant/ advanced look for the UI is implemented.
Fair enough again. UI have to be completely redone.

5. Short runways/approaches - RW should strive for realism.
Short?! Come on!:lol: What do you mean "short"?
6. Over complicated? - Let's hope that some of the "minutia" can be turned off using a scrolling bar that reduces demands such as the sewage truck and other support personnel.

Again, this could be a pro, or a con, depending on how it is implemented, and whether it can be controlled.

Perhaps different difficulty settings could require different aircraft services, or a sliding bar for different difficulty settings, such as: "Vehicle Support Sophistication Level" - At the lowest setting, no vehicles besides baggage handling and gate support would be needed, at the highest level, all vehicles would be necessary, including sewage, catering, de-icing etc.

Environmental stuff such as "Weather intensity level" could be selected, aspects such as temperature range, snow, wind, fog, etc. and a sliding scale that would allow more extreme weather, or more tame weather.)

This could help control some of the complication of the game.
Gameplay tests will show. It is very hard to estimate this inside the team.
@ Evgeniy,

Thanks for the response.

I am wishing you guys the best of luck with all the small details and problems that arise during this later stage of development.

Like I said before, I really think this game can be hugely popular with aviation fans and hope you guys the best of luck.

Not to repeat myself, but for me a lot of the fun of an airport building game is creating and extending terminal concourses, and also I enjoy seeing different jetbridges reaching the airplanes.

Without those two aspects, it just isn't as compelling.

I was very excited to see your game art regarding jet bridges early on, and am a bit saddened that they appear to be giving you guys problems.

Without jet bridges and longer concourses, I really hope you guys don't release the game quite yet, as if the game is released without jet bridges and extendable concourses I am worried it might get poor initial reviews that could be hard to overcome.

Of course, I am sure you guys are looking for a bit of a cash infusion to keep on going, as the development has taken a while.

If the game can be released in some sort of playable form, you can perhaps get the cash you need to continue development and update it in the future and get these aspects working correctly.

Again, thanks for listening, and best of luck.

----------------------

Just for fun, here's an image of the glass jet bridges at my local airport: SBP:

JetBridges will be implemented 100% and there will be different types(upgrades) for them. Regarding to concourses, we will give enough tools to create shapes of terminal structures you want. We have now some different opinions on that. Maybe we will ask the community also.
Evgeniy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:30 am JetBridges will be implemented 100% and there will be different types(upgrades) for them. Regarding to concourses, we will give enough tools to create shapes of terminal structures you want. We have now some different opinions on that. Maybe we will ask the community also.
That is really great news!

I love the idea of upgrading the jet bridges - Could be really rusty looking metal ones, and much more expensive higher level glass getbridges. That will really make this game interesting.

So glad to hear that some sort of concourses will also be possible. It would also be fun down the road to provide some different roof options (skylights/arches / domes etc.)

I would love to see something more on jetbridges in a Devblog.

Thanks again for the reply.